Tuesday 27 March 2012

Dear 28 year old me,

After being so inspired by Kate's blog, I decided to write a letter to my 28 year old self. I'm warning you now that I have so many questions to ask myself, so don't hesitate to click the exit key. I won't mind. This blog post is more about myself anyway. But, I encourage you to write one of your own. It helped me remember what was important to me.
Here goes!

Dear 28 year old me,
Are you living in Chicago, or did you choose New York? Did you end up going to Portland State University for your bachelors in English and than moved on to New York University to receive your masters in Publishing?
Are you totally indecisive like you were when you were 16?
Do you still have great difficulty refusing dessert? Are you still addicted to sugar like you have been all your life?
Do you still get teased for being short, or have you actually grown?
Are you happy? Do you consider yourself successful? If not, make a change.
Did you buy a Mustang yet, or are you car-less since you're living in some big city? Are you okay with that?
Are you having regrets moving away from Portland like you always assumed you would? Have you gone back to visit Portland yet? You better have, or else do it now. Book a flight!
Have you traveled to Greece yet?
Do you have a tattoo of the Gemini sign yet? I'm assuming so...
Do you still have your nose piercing in? I never did think you would ever get used to it...
Are you still in love with the sun? Why did I even ask that, because I know that will never change.
Are you still sensitive?
How's the WPW syndrome? I hope it hasn't bothered you too much...
What's society like? Have you learned to live your life without societal pressures?
Do you still read whenever you have free time?
Have you gotten over the excitement of freedom and indepedence, or have you totally forgotten to appreciate it?
Do you still have Max? He'd be 12... If not, was it hard losing him and Chester?
Have you gotten new dogs to replace them? That's so sad to think about.
Do you still have L.A, your turtle? Are you still mistreating her? I know I'm still having issues keeping up with feeding her even after 5 years of having her...
How's Dad? Has he gotten help yet?
How's Mom? I bet she's working in some big hospital. Tell her I love her!
How's Phil? Still crackin' jokes that no one understands?
How's Grandma? I really hope she's still healthy and in our lives.
How's Grandma Vickie and Grandpa? Have you gone to Romania yet to visit them?
How's Tony? Is he still reppin' Rip City proudy?
How's Elly? Did you guys end up roomin' together in Chicago?
How's Carmen? Has she re-married yet?
How's Vali and the family in Romania? If you don't know, than you should really find out.
Do you still close your eyes when you listen to a really good song? Is your laugh still a cackle? If not, I'd be thoroughly shocked.
Do you still blog?
Have you gotten a book published yet?
Have you even finished a novel? If so, I'm proud.
Have you fallen in love yet? If not, open your heart and soul. I know how much we always struggled with that.
Have you discovered the meaning of life? Hahaha, that's a pointless question to ask... I know we never will.
Do you have regrets? If you do, let go of them. Just remember that the past is the past.
Are you still in contact with Maddie, Yarden, Karen, Alyssa, Britney, Tiffany and Gracey?
Are you married? That's such an odd scenario to imagine.
Are you suddenly a cat lover?
Do you still sleep crooked?
Do you still have that A to ZEN of life poster that you used to stare at multiple times a day when you were 16?
Have you thought about moving to California again? I always did dream of California...
Have you done anything really big with your life?
Have you saved a life?
Have you gone ziplining through a forest like you've always wanted to?
Have you learned to cook yet? Please tell me you're not living off of Mac 'n' Cheese and Eggo waffles!
Please tell me you've gone to visit Nana, Lori and Lindell in California.
Do you still have your pearl ring that Grandma gave me? Do you still wear it every single day? How about the ring from Dad? And the pearl necklace from Mom... If you lost any of them than I'm so disappointed. Those always meant so much to me.
Have you gotten over your silly fear of eye drops? I doubt it...
Do you still pick off your nailpolish and pick at your lips when you're stressed or nervous? I seriously hope not...
Is your right ankle still sensitive and rolled easily?
Are you still really clumsy?
Have you made memories and stuffed them all in a scrapbook like I always attempted to do but would never finish?
Do you still question everything?
Are you still obsessed with making lists?
You're still stubborn, aren't you?
Has your view on religion changed?
Please tell me you're happy. If not, then do something to help both of us.
I bet you that you have questions for your 40 year old self. My mind spins if I even try to imagine myself ever reaching that age. If you're really curious and bored than you should write a letter.
And once again, open your heart and soul to change girl. And I'm sorry if something I've done now affected us negatively and has impacted your lifestyle. Let's just try to make the most of it.
Love, 16 year old me. <3


Sorry about the long blog post. You're probably not as enthralled as you thought you would be. Maybe next time. Have a good Spring Break everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment